Friday, September 24, 2010

New Tricks from Old Friends


Those were the good old days, when people used to get together and sew. Now sewing is an individualized sport. I spend most of my days solo in my sewing studio, longing for the stimulation of other like minds. That is one of the reasons I decided to ask some crafty friends of mine to sew scarves for me. It has been really fun for me to show them how I do what I do. They each took my instruction and then went their own way with it. You can see all of the results on my etsy site. Each one of us five girls has a style all our own.

During this project I kept very open to how other people might do things and I picked up a few new tricks. I'm so glad I did it because it has helped me to keep my own style fresh and ever-evolving. When you are on your own and in your routine, sometimes you don't realize what you are doing is becoming very "routine." 

One day Lauren and I were comparing scarves. I noticed that she sewed on her four-hole buttons in two straight lines. I sew mine in an "x." We both laughed at ourselves because neither of us had thought to do it the other way, but it was such a simple concept. Likewise when I saw the scarves from Cassandra I noticed they had a soft, fuzzy texture. I really liked the chunky grain on this light fabric she used. I asked her where she got it. She said that she had taken sweatshirt fabric and turned it inside out. I smiled as I thought, "no kidding, sweatshirt in reverse." You know I'm going to take that idea and go places with it.


I'm beginning to realize how important it is to have friends, and share ideas. The more tips I learn, the more I'm working and thinking, "What can I turn upside-down or inside-out? What material haven't I used yet?"
I often have to remind myself that it is OK not to innovate all the time. Being open-minded can make you so much better at being you. I mainly apply this thought to my sewing, but it works for life too. I don't do anything any better than anyone else, just different.


No comments:

Post a Comment