Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's a New Year

I think there's a saying that goes something like, "How you ring in the new year sets the tone for your year to come." (eloquent I am not)If this is true, my 2012 is going to be awesome. Phil and I are still moving (a.k.a visiting family for the holidays before we go to Germany)We've been so fortunate to be able to spend tons of time with the ones we love. In a few days we will move to the other side of the globe, so it is a significant time to be solidifying these bonds. My favorite thing to do in Phillytown is the Mummer's Parade on J-1. It blows the pants off any New Year's Eve Party in my opinion. Here are a couple of shots I scored at the celebration.


For those of you unfamiliar with the Philadelphia Mummers this shot is an example of the Level 1 Mummer. It's a guy dressed as a girl, with old sneakers spray painted gold. He is more concerned with cans of beer and cigarettes than anything else. The beginnning of the parade is definitely not for sore eyes.


This is a shot of some Level 2 Mummers. They have better costumes and are accompanied by a band.



But the debauchery continues...


Yes, that is a puddle in the middle of the street from you-know-what. The best part is I am standing right next to a cop as I take this shot.
Oh Philadelphia...you are a lovable city.


Here's me, my cousin, and my brother with a pretty respectical Level 3 Mummer. He, at least was chewing gum.


And just so you don't get the wrong impression of the parade; this is an example of one of the nicer floats. I believe they call these guys "The Fancies". The Fancies and The String Bands are the pride of the parade.

After the parade is when the family gatehrs at the local watering hole. In the case of my family it is at St. Steven's Green, located on 17th and Green St. in Philly. It's got a great menu, for food and beer.


This is not the most awesome shot, but I think you get the idea.


Mummer Lovin'


Who is that sexy beast?
He goes by many names...The Miz...Mizzle...The Baby...Cherry
One thing is for sure. He was born to wear velvet.












No comments:

Post a Comment