Friday, October 28, 2011

Make the Music with Your Mouth Biz....

So I didn't grow up under a rock, but I never saw this album cover until recently.


I think it is so clever, and so ridiculous that it has inspired my Halloween costume this year.
I'm going to a party, with a contest. I'm sure I won't win, but I made myself a costume in The Biz's honor anyway. If for nothing else, I find it terribly amusing.
It basically consists of me wearing a decorated sweatshirt in an effort to look larger than I am. I photographed my process for you. This was in case you want to do the same for yourself. My key ingredient (besides a flesh colored sweatshirt) was iron-on adhesive I bought on a roll from JoAnn Fabrics. It is a genius product.


Here I drew on paper, with pen, my designs.


My supplies.


Here's the iron-on paper adhered to black flannel. I have traced all my feather parts.


I'm tracing the arm band.


I am cutting the parts out.


I am ironing them on.


This is a close up of the arm band and head dress.


This is the almost finished product. I am going to make feathers to hang off the armband, and also to hang from the drawchord on the hood. Oh, this hood has no chord? What kind of a design is that? Good thing I am prepared with chord of my own.


Here are the feathers I made on their own.


The adhesive seems to work well, but I sewed these to provide reinforcement. I actually sewed the chest patch down too.


So here is the finished product, the sweatshirt anyway. It is complete with the extra feathers I made. I'm not sure I look exactly like Biz Markie, but I know I get an "A" for effort.


And I also have a cool new sweatshirt. Stay tuned for the rest of the costume in my post-Halloween post, maybe Monday. I'm making Phil a costume too. That one will be my secret.
Have a great weekend!











1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh BIZ MARKIE!!! His song will be playing in my head all day! "you! you got what I need! But you say he's just a friend, but you say he's just a friend!"

    Your humor rocks girl!

    ReplyDelete