Wednesday, June 22, 2011

CREATIVE SOCIAL

I am hosting a meeting down here at Fort Rucker, AL. I hope everyone in the area knows about it and can come. It is a thought I've had for quite some time and I am now putting it to action.
This is my first military installation. I don't know if socializing here is the same as it is at other locations, but I found it hard to meet people with similar interests. Now that I have been here a while I know quite a few. I'm at the point where, I'd say, I'm known as the go-to for crafting and art around here. I get introduced to new people all the time. People say, "This is my neighbor. She makes stuff so I thought you'd be a good person for her to know."
All these people know me, but they don't know each other. I am hosting a meeting so that can happen. It is my hope that anyone with a creative inkling, in any subcatagory of art right down to enthusiast, will attend. If that happens people can start to build relationships on something other than the flight class that their soldier is in.
Making stuff is fun and rewarding. It is even more so when there are people for you to share your process and product with. I think to put it plainly I want to start an art club. For now I'm calling it The Creative Social. I'm trying not to fuss over it too much because it should be casual. But I did just get finished baking. I made fudgie vegan black bean brownies and peanut butter pretzel cookies. (see recipes below) I also have a list of representatives form local art associations coming as well as some current opportunities. I hope the event is a success. If so, we can have more in the future. And also it could be an avenue for people to break off and start other specific groups, maybe even plan a field trip or two.
The list of participating organizations and opportunities are as follows:

Dale County Council of Arts and Humanities
11th Annual Regional Juried Art Exhibition
Claybank Festival
Wiregrass Art Museum
Wiregrass Art Museum Events
and volunteer opportunities
SACS on Fifth Ave. at Ft Rucker
Army Wide Arts and Crafts Contest
Arts and Crafts Festival at Fort Rucker. Coming this Fall!
The Coffee Bean in Daleville is looking for performing artists to host entertainment. Now!

Thanks for checking this all out. Your reward is my recipe:

FUDGIE VEGAN BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
3/4 C. wheat flour (white is fine too)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. Cocoa Powder ( I use unsweetened black cocoa but any type is fine)
1/2 C. walnuts (optional)
2 T. Chocolate Chips (optional) (I use Ghiradelli bittersweet)
1 C. Soaked and Cooked Black Beans (any beans kind of bean will work) (if canned, use half a can rinsed)
1 C. yummy dark coffee (if you don't like coffee use any other liquid you like..water, soy milk, etc.)
1/2 t. vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8" Square pan. Whisk dry ingredients. Puree the beans with half the coffee. Combine puree, vanilla, and the rest of  the coffee with the dry ingredients. Pour the batter in the pan. Top with nuts and chocolate. Bake 25 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into small squares. To make this easier for myself I pop the brownies out of the pan and freeze the 8" square. Then I cut it.

PEANUT BUTTER AND PRETZEL COOKIES
For this I followed a regular peanut butter cookie recipe. At the end you roll the dough in a ball and flatten it on a cookie sheet by criss crossing a fork. After this step I squished a mini pretzel on the top and baked it. They are cute, crunchy, not too sweet, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment